Tips To Keep Your Teeth Healthy Over The Holidays
The holidays are filled with fun, food, and sweets! With so many temptations around, it’s easy to indulge a little more than you should. To help you keep your teeth in tip-top shape over the holidays here are some tips!
- Drink Water: During the holidays it’s more likely that you will be snacking on sweeter food throughout the day. The increase in sugar exposure can lead to tooth decay. To help minimize your sugar intake drink water throughout the day instead of juices, sodas, and other sugary drinks.
- Use a Nutcracker: Pecans and other nuts are a popular snack during the holiday season. Using your teeth as a nutcracker can cause serious tooth and gum damage. Shell your nuts with a nutcracker before sitting down to snack on them!
- Don’t use your teeth as a tool: We know that at times you may be tempted to open packages or bottles with your teeth! However, your teeth are not the right tool for the task. Reach for scissors or bottle opener to get the job done and save your teeth the trouble.
- Avoid Grazing: With all kinds of food and sweets around during the holidays, it's easy to graze on all the yummy treats all throughout the day. Grazing leads to more frequent sugar exposures. Each time your mouth is exposed to sugar the level of acidity changes. For your mouth to reach normal levels it takes about 30 minutes. If you keep exposing yourself to sugar than your mouth will remain in high acidity levels. This prolonged exposure can put you at a greater risk for cavities. So, instead of grazing throughout the day stash the food away and only set it out during mealtime.
- Keep Up Your Routine: The holidays can change up your normal schedule, However, it is important to not miss a brushing! Make sure to brush your teeth for 2 minutes twice a day, floss, and use a fluoride rinse during the holiday season and every day.
Feel free to reach out to any of our offices with any questions you may have about keeping your teeth or your kiddos teeth healthy over the holidays. We hope these tips will help you keep your teeth in tip-top shape. If you need to schedule an appointment during a day our office is closed you can conveniently do so right here on our website!